Wednesday 20 October 2010

Weaving mostly...

OK so I've totally neglected this blog!! hahaha.... well, in the time since my last post I've managed to spend the best part of a month solidly camping, move back to uni, learn to knit socks, get the stuff to make mead (need to get a pan big enough to actually do it) and plenty of other not so exciting things....

One of the things that prompted me to make a blog is because i started weaving fabric a couple of days before the time i made this... and i thought to myself "this process would make a really cool blog" because i was doing all sorts of crazy things like wood work and such... needless to say i completely forgot to take photos (that's what happens when i just get on with it haha) BUT have just taken photos of the final product...
 So this is the box my loom lives in, i got given this loom by my old textiles teacher... being one never to say no to free and interesting stuffs =D so, i made various bits of the things you can see myself, because "fashion student" really means "jack of all trades" and "improvises where possible as much as possible"

 These are the shuttles... there what you wrap your weft thread round as your weaving... they didn't take all that long to make to be honest.
 This is the shed stick... its one of the most useful things in the world this little bit of wood... i use it to lift up one set of the warp threads when weaving... meaning its easier to pass the shuttle through, and easier to lift alternate threads because i leave it in at the back of the Warp threads when I'm weaving...

 These are the beater, threader thingy, and the heddle... i made the beater, its basically a longer wider version of my shed stick. the heddle takes AGES! to thread... i know there's some technical lingo what refers to threading it- sleying your reed i think- but possibly not.
 closer image of the useful that is Mr threader... SUCH a time saver!
 Closer image of the heddle... apparently its best to weave with 4 or even 8 of them to get the more intricate patterns... i only have the one however...

 the sides of my loom, i had in in the plain wood for about a week, then i got bored of it... i had to personalise it... and this is what i came up with, i have a thing for Celtic knots.... Still haven't decided on a name for it yet though, i think a loom does need a name!
 This is my first full bit of weaving on my loom! i went for a tartan inspired pattern, which was a bit of a challenge... you can see the other half where i folded it at the top, it doesn't curve like that really, that would totally ruin the whole neat edges thing i was aiming for! haha
Full picture of the weaving... it measures about a metre i think... and its 17cm at its widest point, it ended at 12.5 cm... and most of it is 12.5... it just took a little while to sort my tension at the edges and stuff out, i learnt a lot doing this bit of weaving, i thoroughly enjoyed it as well, I'm hoping to get more done at some point but my degree work kinda stops me, considering i found myself setting up the loom between about 10am - 1pm, and then weaving from 1.30pm Wednesday until 5/6am on the Thursday morning, and even then i only stopped because it was the sensible thing to do as i had to leave my friends house! hahaha! we got a bit weave crazy! But i think once i get a spare few days ill do a bit more weaving, cos its really good fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment